We're an Affiliate
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. We may receive a commission, or some sort of compensation, when you purchase any products and/ or services using links on this page.
Taking care of cats can be fun. But the stinky smell resulting from their urine, is not a welcome sensation first thing in the morning. When your cats are peeing outside their litter box on the carpet, bed linens and furniture or clothes, masking the smell can be challenging.
To avoid embarrassment and prevent your cat from doing it again, it is important to neutralize the cat urine odor and clean the affected area properly. One way to tackle the odor is to get the best air purifier for cat urine odor removal.
Cat pee is no different than the urine of any other animal. It will smell bad if left unnoticed. Cats have a tendency to mark their territories outside their litter box by spraying that area.
So any nook or cranny they feel is theirs, will be claimed!
It can be in the hidden corners of the house or under your bed. And the worst things is that, you’ll only realize it once the smell is already there.
Cat urine gives off an ammonia-like odor that can be irritating to your nose. To make it worse, cats also eliminate powerful hormones in their urine. This warns other male cats to stay away from the area and also lets females know that they are around.
Now getting an air purifier is not a must if you have a well ventilated house. But if not, you might need the best air purifier for cat urine odor removal there is to clean the strong cat pee smell in your home.
So you should consider buying an air purifier only if your cat:
- Urinates all over the house,
- Has tendency to mark areas in your house, or
- Responds to fear, excitement or other behavioral issues by peeing.
With the use of air purifiers, you can easily eliminate the bad odor and improve air quality. To get the best results, you should place the air purifier in a strategic location where it can effectively purify the air.
Air purifiers are different from air filters. Purifiers destroy particles that cause the bad smell, unlike the air filters or perfumes that only mask them. This is what makes air purifiers more convenient and effective as cat urine odor eliminators.
There are hundreds of air purifiers for cat urine odor removal that can solve your problem. It’s also likely that your friends have some recommendations for you or you’ve read reviews on some of them.
However, in order to find the best air purifier for cat urine odor removal, you should consider the only the ones that fit the following criteria.
- Have Carbon Based Filter: Using an air purifier with a carbon-based filter is effective in getting rid the odors. It lasts for a long time and is also safe for the environment.
- Are Cost-Effective: Save yourself from buying air purifiers that are not cost effective. It’s best to consider products that are highly efficient. Research the price and the running cost of the air purifier before buying it. Reviews by other consumers would help.
- Remove Cat-Related Pollutants: Other than completely removing the cat urine odor, it is ideal if the air purifier can also help with other cat-related pollutants like hair and dander. You can look for an air purifier that has a 4-step filtration process for better results.
The best air purifier for cat urine odor removal has to be effective and made to last. The purifiers listed below feature strong filtration systems that remove strong odors and pet allergens as well.
Although this isn’t a comprehensive list, it should give you a better idea of what type of air purifiers work best for cat urine odor removal.
The Hamilton Beach Air Purifier for Allergies and Pets offers a 99% HEPA filtration permanent air purifier that helps you to save money by not requiring you to buy replacement filters as often as other products.
It has two replaceable carbon filters that eliminate the smell of cat urine and it comes with a proven zeolite technology. It works best for smaller rooms up to 140 sq. ft.
Why is it effective in cat urine odor removal?
- It has a permanent filter.
- It uses zeolite technology to remove pet odors.
- It catches pet hair, dander, and airborne particles.
The Hamilton Beach TrueAir Room Odor Eliminator keeps the whole room fresh and odorless. It comes with three carbon filters that trap and neutralize the odor of cat urine.
According to Hamilton’s promise, it keeps the room fresh for about 3 months of use. It is small and can easily fit into any room.
Cats are trained to use their litter box and if they are avoiding it, then there could be something wrong with their health. This is similar to when we see changes in the color of our urine. There are various health conditions can make using the litter box a little challenging for the cats.
Cats suffering from such medical conditions can pee uncontrollably and are unable to use their litter box. Find the best cat litter for cats with urinary problems.
Some common medical conditions may include diabetes, kidney failure, urinary tract infections, kidney infections, thyroid issues, and urinary incontinence.
If you are uncertain about the condition of your cat, talk to your veterinarian who can help identify the symptoms and start proper treatment.
Besides air purifiers, there are other ‘not so costly’ things you can do to eliminate cat urine odor. Many cat owners look for alternatives that are more natural and cheaper solutions for this problem. Some alternatives you might want to consider are:
- Using baking Soda: It is a natural cat urine odor removal home remedy. This easily draws out and removes the strong smell of cat urine. You can mix baking soda with water and apply it where your cat urinates. Read Is Baking Soda Bad for Cats? for more details.
- Spraying Vinegar Solution: Many pet owners use vinegar to easily remove the odor of the cat’s urine on the carpets. You can saturate the area and let it seep in the floorboards or carpets. It is safe to use on different surfaces like a hardwood floor. Read Is Vinegar Bad For Cats? Are Cats Allergic To Vinegar? for more information.
- Onion: Onion can help absorb the urine odor without leaving its natural onion smell. However, it does not clean the area though.
It is not necessary to sell your house and shift to a new home to escape the cat urine odor. The alternatives mentioned above, along with finding the best air purifier for cat urine odor removal should be enough.
But if the problem persists, you should also look for any underlying health issues that causes the cat to pee inappropriately. If it’s a behavioral issue, then programs like these will provide a permanent solution.
Air purifiers help in getting rid of bad odor and maintain the air quality.
They can also prevent your family members from developing any allergies by removing other pet-related pollutants.
So it might be a good idea to get yourself an air purifier if you have a naughty cat and you can afford the extra cost of changing the filters every few months!