Taking care of cats can be fun. But the stinky smell resulting from their urine, is not a welcome sensation first thing in the morning.
When your cats are peeing outside their litter box on the carpet, on bed linens and furniture or clothes, masking the smell can be challenging.
To avoid embarrassment and prevent your cat from doing it again, it is important to neutralize the cat urine odor and clean the affected area properly.
One way to tackle the odor is to get the best air purifier for cat urine odor removal.
Why Does Cat Pee Stink So Much?
Before we look at the best air purifier for cat urine odor, let us first understand why cat pee stinks so much. Cat pee is no different than the urine of any other animal. It will smell bad if left unnoticed.
The strong smell of cat urine is due to the presence of ammonia which is a colorless gas with a very pungent odor. It is produced when nitrogen-containing compounds like urea decompose. Urea is one of the main components of cat urine.
Cats tend to mark their territories outside their litter box by spraying that area. It can be in the hidden corners of the house or under your bed. By doing so, ammonia is released into the air. And the worst thing is that you’ll only realize it once the smell is already there.
To make it worse, cats also eliminate powerful hormones in their urine. This warns other male cats to stay away from the area and lets females know that they are around.
Do You Really Need Air Purifiers?
Now getting an air purifier is not a must if you live in a well-ventilated house.
But if not, you will need the best air purifier for cat urine odor removal there is to eliminate the strong cat pee smell in your home.
So, you should consider buying an air purifier only if your cat:
- Urinates all over the house.
- Has tendency to mark areas in your house.
- Responds to fear, excitement, or other behavioral issues by peeing.
Will An Air Purifier Get Rid of Cat Urine Smell?
With the use of air purifiers, you can easily eliminate the bad odor and improve air quality. Air purifiers are different from air filters. Purifiers destroy particles that cause the bad smell, unlike the air filters or perfumes that only mask them.
This is what makes air purifiers more convenient and effective as cat urine odor eliminators.
To get the best results, you should place the air purifier at a strategic location where it can effectively purify the air.
Best Air Purifier for Cat Urine Odor Removal: Buying Considerations
There are hundreds of air purifiers for cat urine odor removal that can solve your problem. It’s also likely that your friends have some recommendations for you, or you’ve read reviews on some of them.
However, to find the best air purifier for cat urine odor removal, you should consider only the ones that fit the following criteria.
- Have Carbon Based Filter: Using an air purifier with a carbon-based filter is effective in getting rid the odors. It lasts for a long time and is also safe for the environment.
- Are Cost-Effective: Save yourself from buying air purifiers that are not cost effective. It’s best to consider products that are highly efficient. Research the price and the running cost of the air purifier before buying it. Reading reviews by other consumers would help.
- Remove Cat-Related Pollutants: Other than completely removing the cat urine odor, it is ideal if the air purifier can also help with other cat-related pollutants like hair and dander. You can look for an air purifier that has a 4-step filtration process for better results.
7 Best Air Purifiers for Cat Urine Odor Removal
The best air purifier for cat urine odor removal must be effective and made to last. The purifiers listed below feature strong filtration systems that remove strong odors and pet allergens as well.
Although this isn’t a comprehensive list, it should give you a better idea of what type of air purifiers work best for cat urine odor removal.
Alternatives to Air Purifiers for Cat Urine Odor Removal
Besides air purifiers, there are other “not so costly” things you can do to eliminate cat urine odor. Many cat owners look for alternatives that are more natural and cheaper solutions for this problem.
Some alternatives you might want to consider are:
- Using baking Soda: It is a natural cat urine odor removal home remedy. This easily draws out and removes the strong smell of cat urine. You can mix baking soda with water and apply it where your cat urinates. Read this article for more details.
- Spraying Vinegar Solution: Many pet owners use vinegar to easily remove the odor of the cat’s urine on the carpets. You can saturate the area and let it seep in the floorboards or carpets. It is safe to use on different surfaces like a hardwood floor. Read this article for more information.
- Onion: Onion can help absorb the urine odor without leaving its natural onion smell. However, it does not clean the area though. You can use this only as a temporary solution.
- Enzymatic Cleaners: There are also enzymatic cleaners that you can buy from any pet store. You can use these to break down the urine and remove the odor. These are safe to use on different surfaces, but they might be a bit pricier than other alternatives.
Note: Before you work on any of the alternatives mentioned above, you will need to buy a good blacklight to find cat urine.
It is not necessary to sell your house and shift to a new home to escape the cat urine odor. The alternatives mentioned above, along with finding the best air purifier for cat urine odor removal should be enough.
But if the problem persists, you should also look for any underlying health issues that causes the cat to pee inappropriately.
If it’s a behavioral issue with your cat, then programs like these will provide a permanent solution.
Air purifiers help in getting rid of bad odor and maintain the air quality. They can also prevent your family members from developing any allergies by removing other pet-related pollutants like pet dander.
So, it might be a good idea to get yourself an air purifier if you have a naughty cat and you can afford the extra cost of changing the filters every few months!